GFS Headquarters Part 4

On the 21st of October and 25th of November last year we posted about the GFS Red Cross Emergency Company and clubs that were based at the GFS Headquarters. Today we follow on from those two posts.

GFS RED CROSS BRANCH
There was also a Red Cross branch at GFS Headquarters, which was formed at the outbreak of World War II. Over 3,000 knitted articles were donated to the Red Cross and funds were raised for special Red Cross appeals, such as the Lady Gowrie Fund and others. There was a harmonious relationship between those involved and a lot was achieved. The branch was closed in 1946 after continuous hard work by its members in support of the various armed services.

WAR SERVICES CLUB
With a name that means ‘welcome’, the GFS Orana Club had a special role to play at GFS Headquarters when it was formed in 1940 as a central club for members and non-members of the Society. However in March 1942 Mrs R.H. Moore, who was President at the time, saw a need and changed the Orana Club into a War Services Club for girls and women in the Services, as well as GFS members.

It was based at the Headquarters building and the facilities were a boon to off-duty girls. A meal was provided twice a day for a nominal charge on nine pence and over one thousand meals were served each month. There was wonderful help from young Associates and other voluntary workers, as well as members of the Mothers’ Union. Mrs Moore was a tireless worker in keeping the War Services Club going under very difficult conditions, always cheerful and encouraging to those taking part. It continued under her leadership until November 1947, when the club closed after having provided a wonderful service for 5½ years.


^